Welcome to Macadam Floor and Design, your ultimate destination for high-quality and affordable carpet and professional carpet installation in Portland. We are a leading provider of premium carpets, rugs, and flooring solutions, with a wide range of styles and designs to suit every taste and budget.
Whether you’re looking to upgrade your home or office space, our convenient Portland, Lake Oswego, and Vancouver locations have something for everyone. We make it easy to add comfort and style to your floors without sacrificing your budget. With our extensive collection of carpets, you’re sure to find just the right carpet for your project!
At Macadam Floor and Design, we pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service and expert advice. Our team of experienced professionals will help you choose the right carpet for your needs and answer any questions you may have so you can make informed decisions. Call to make an appointment today to find something you love. Keep reading for more details about selecting carpet, visiting the showroom, and creating custom area rugs from wall-to-wall carpet. Thank you for choosing Macadam Floor and Design!
How do I select the right carpet?
Selecting the right carpet can be a daunting task, but with the right information, it can be a straightforward and enjoyable experience. We offer an extensive collection of quality carpet at competitive prices. Here are some factors to consider when selecting carpet:
- Durability and Maintenance: The durability of the carpet is an important factor to consider, especially if you have children or pets or if the room experiences high foot traffic. Some carpets are more prone to stains and require more frequent cleaning than others. Regular vacuuming and periodic professional cleaning can help extend the life of all carpet types and keep it looking its best.
- Style, Texture & Color: The style, texture and color of the carpet affect the overall aesthetic of the room. Patterned carpets, rich colors and interesting textures can make an impactful visual statement. Neutral colors, simple textures, and low-contrast patterns provide a backdrop to other design elements in the space. Light-colored carpets can make a room feel larger and brighter, while darker-colored carpets can create a cozy and intimate feel. See below for more details about different styles.
- Fiber: Carpet fibers are available in a range of materials including wool, nylon, and polyester. Wool is a natural fiber that is durable and has a luxurious feel. Consider a wool blend for greater affordability. Nylon and polyester are synthetic fibers that are durable and come in a wide range of price points.
- Budget: Consider your budget when selecting carpet. Carpet prices can vary greatly based on the material, style, and quality.
Be candid with your Macadam project manager or designer about your needs so we can help you make an informed carpet decision that will work for the way you live, suits your style, and fits within your budget.
What are the most popular carpet styles?
Carpet styles can vary based on the type of fiber, texture, and construction. Ultimately, the carpet style that will be the right fit for you depends on personal preference and the specific needs of the space where it will be installed. Here are some of the most popular carpet styles commonly used in residential settings:
Texture Carpet refers to cut pile carpet with a level surface. Texture Carpet is available in solid colors, a combination of colors or tone-on-tone to create interest without being too busy. Textured carpet is a type of carpet that features a textured surface created by varying the length of the fibers in the carpet. The surface of the carpet has a subtle mix of high and low areas, which can create a casual and relaxed feel in a room.
Textured carpets are versatile and can be used in a variety of spaces such as living rooms, bedrooms, and family rooms. They are also ideal for high-traffic areas as the texture of the carpet can help to hide soil and footprints. Textured carpet is available in a range of materials and colors.
Carpet texture can be created in various ways, such as by twisting the fibers or by cutting the loops of the fibers to create a cut pile. When choosing a textured carpet, it is important to consider the pile height, texture, and color of the carpet and how it will work with the other design elements in the room. The right textured carpet can create a comfortable and inviting space.
Frieze (pronounced “fre-zay”): The fibers in frieze carpet are twisted tightly together, which creates a curled or kinked appearance. Whether short and tight or long and loose, the twist in frieze carpet is often so tight that the strands are bending in different directions, creating an illusion that a solid color carpet contains additional colors. Because frieze carpet ranges from casual to luxurious, it continues to be a popular option for family rooms, bedrooms and throughout the home. Because of its relatively shaggy appearance, frieze carpet is fairly forgiving of seams.
Looped carpet, commonly known as berber, is made of looped fibers sewn through the carpet backing. Berber carpet gets its reputation for durability from commercial carpet and can also be soft and comfy for residential floors. Whether uniform and smooth or multi-level and patterned, looped carpet is a smart option for high-traffic flooring areas such as stairs. Looped carpet is available in a range of colors and patterns, making it a versatile flooring option for many different types of spaces.
Looped carpet is generally easy to clean and maintain, but it is important to avoid snagging or pulling on the loops as this can cause damage to the carpet. Because of its low profile, seams are usually more visible in looped carpets.
Patterned carpet is a type of carpet that features a design or pattern woven into the carpet fibers. Patterned carpet can be a great way to add visual interest and style to a room. They can be used as a focal point or to complement other design elements in the space.
Patterned carpet comes in cut pile, loop pile, or a combination of the two – cut and loop, to create a unique pattern and texture. Patterned carpet is ideal for adding visual interest to a room and can be used in various areas such as living rooms, bedrooms, and hallways. Whether you want a showstopper or a subtle supporting element, we offer an extensive selection of patterned carpets.
There are many different types of patterned carpet, including:
- Geometric patterns: These carpets feature geometric shapes such as squares, diamonds, chevron, and circles.
- Striped patterns: These carpets feature stripes of different colors, widths, and heights.
- Abstract patterns: These carpets feature unique, non-representational designs.
- Botanical patterns: These carpets feature flowers, leaves, and other elements inspired by nature.
When choosing patterned carpet, it is important to consider the scale of the pattern and how it will work with the other design elements in the room. Large patterns can make a bold statement, while smaller patterns may be a more subtle supporting element in the overall design scheme.
How do I prepare for a visit to the showroom to pick carpet?
Your time is valuable, and we share your goal for an enjoyable, efficient showroom visit that yields delightful results. Before you come to the showroom, here are some tips for a successful carpet selection:
- Appointment: Call ahead to set an appointment with one of our experts.
- Dimensions: Bring measurements of your room. If you don’t have these, don’t worry—if we’re installing, we always professionally measure before providing final quotes and ordering carpet.
- Photos: Bring photos of your existing space and adjacent areas.
- Samples: Bring samples of adjacent flooring, wall colors, or fabrics to coordinate with when possible.
- Priorities: Inform the project manager of your lifestyle needs, including whether you have children or pets, or if the room is used for entertaining or relaxation. We also want to know your priorities for the style, color, and durability of your new carpet. If your goal is longevity for high traffic carpeted areas, we will recommend more durable carpets.
- Budget: Let the project manager know your ideal budget for the carpet so that they can show you options that fit within your price range. To start the carpet ordering process, come prepared to make a down payment or apply for financing.
By providing this information, the salesperson can help you select a carpet that meets your needs in terms of durability, comfort, style, and budget. Be open to considering new carpet options that your project manager may offer. They can also recommend the best installation method and suggest additional products, such as carpet pad, that can enhance the performance and longevity of the carpet. We’re happy to take care of the carpet installation for you too. It’s important to work with a professional installer to ensure that the carpet and pad are installed properly for optimal performance and longevity.
How do I select carpet pad or carpet cushion?
Selecting the right carpet pad or cushion is an important part of the carpet installation process. Your project manager will help you find an appropriate option for maximum performance and ideal comfort. Here are some factors to consider when selecting a carpet pad or cushion:
- Density: The density of the carpet pad is important to consider. A denser pad will provide better support and help extend the life of the carpet.
- Thickness: The thickness of the carpet pad will impact the feel of the carpet underfoot. Thicker pads can provide a more luxurious feel but may not be suitable for low-profile carpets.
- Material: Carpet pads are available in a range of materials such as recycled or new foam, or rubber.
- Moisture resistance: If you live in a humid climate or have a room that is prone to moisture, you should consider a carpet pad that is moisture resistant.
- Soundproofing: If soundproofing is a concern, you may want to consider a carpet pad that has soundproofing properties.
- Health concerns: Some carpet pads contain chemicals that can emit harmful VOCs (volatile organic compounds). If you have concerns about indoor air quality, you should look for a carpet pad that is low VOC.
By considering these factors, you can select the right carpet pad or cushion that will provide the necessary support, comfort, and protection for your carpet.
How do I create a custom area rug from wall-to-wall carpet?
Creating a custom area rug from wall-to-wall carpet is a cost-effective way to add a unique touch to your décor. You can define your space and reduce the echo of hardwood or tile flooring with the warmth and texture of a custom area rug made from any of our wall-to-wall carpets in Portland.
To create a custom area rug, follow these simple steps:
- Measure your space: Measure the area where you want to display the rug. This will help you determine the size of rug you need. You may find it helpful to mark out the rug size using paper, a sheet or blanket, or tape. Be aware that almost all wall-to wall carpets come in 12-foot widths. If you want a rug larger than 12 feet in both directions, a seam will be necessary to piece the carpet together.
- Select the carpet: Choose the carpet you want to use for your rug. You can select a carpet that matches your existing wall-to-wall carpet or choose a contrasting color or a patterned carpet for a bold statement.
- Select an edge binding: To finish the edges of your custom area rug, we offer binding tape, serging, or fringe in various colors.
- Select the backing: Adding padding or a non-skid backing to the rug can add comfort and protect your flooring. Be sure to use an appropriate rug backing for the type of flooring it will lay on, as some types of backing can cause damage or discoloration.
You can trust Macadam!
Here at Macadam Floor and Design, we have been providing flooring, countertops, tile and window coverings to the Portland Metro area for over 35 years. We are continually improving our showroom offerings, industry knowledge and professionalism to provide excellent service and value for our customers. Whether working with our Portland Retail and Builder Showroom or our Vancouver Builder Design Center, you will be paired with a project manager or designer to help you navigate your options with confidence.
Work with one of our experts to be sure you purchase carpet that is right for your project at the best value in Portland— we coordinate installation too!
Our Brands Include:
- Design Materials
- Dixie Home
- Godfrey Hirst
- … and more
Coupon must be presented at the time of price quote, and may not be combined with any other offers, slab countertops, builder programs, or insurance programs.
Macadam Floor and Design offers an extensive selection of flooring, countertops and window coverings for your next project.